Friday 17 June 2011

Child Ballads. A second edition after 130 years.

In July this year the final volume will be released of the Loomis House Press second edition of Francis James Child's collection 'The English and Scottish Popular Ballads'

The English and Scottish Popular Ballads was first published in ten volumes by Francis James Child between the years 1882 and 1898. The first edition, published by Houghton, Mifflin and Company was later re-printed by them in five volumes, each containing two of the original volumes.

Francis J Child was an acedemic at Harvard University in Boston, Massachusetts, USA, and prolific in his work. The English and Scottish Popular Ballads was his greatest and most enduring work; the one by which his name is remembered today.

Since then it has only been available in facsimile editions, the most popular of which is the Dover edition. For a long time the Dover edition was unavailable, leading to sky-high second hand prices for tatty paper back copies.

Revered by lovers of poetry, songs, ballads, antiquity and folklore worldwide 'The English and Scottish Popular Ballads' is one of the most sought after poetry collections.

Dover have since re-printed their facsimile edition, but until recently the first edition has been the only edition available.

Mark Heiman and Laura Saxton Heiman of Loomis House Press have changed all that.

Years' of work have gone into the production of a new edition, newly typeset and containing Francis Child's own corrections in five volumes as well as tunes from Child's own sources.

Volumes 1 - 4 have already been published and volume 5 will be available in July, completing the set.

I would like to congratulate Mark and Laura of Loomis House Press for their diligent work and celebrate the completion of this important new publication.

13 comments:

  1. I've never heard of this author and collection before. Fascinating, though.

    Ellie Garratt

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love hearing the background information of writing. It always makes me want to read it immediately and see what the reviewer is talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tony...I have to confess that I had never heard of this author or these books before. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was all so interesting. Like your new header, Tony. Hope you're enjoying the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the new header! :-)

    I'm so glad to see that readers will be given access to poetry that's been so rare.

    Wonderful idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never heard of the book or author, either--thanks for the background on them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that's sounds amazing! I'll have to check out the volumes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never heard of this collection before either. And he's from my area!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Off to Google this now. You've piqued my curiosity! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. So very interesting to see how an author's work can last.

    ReplyDelete
  11. When I read 'Child Ballads' I thought it would be about poems for children LOL! I've never heard of this poet before. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'll click the link. I haven't heard of these ballads before.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful!
    Thanks for sharing, that's absolutely wonderful! :)

    ReplyDelete